Make buttermilk yourself – that’s how it works
You don’t have to buy buttermilk. The tart healthy drink is easy to make yourself. We present two methods here.
Make your own buttermilk with just a few ingredients
- For one cup you need 250 ml whole milk , 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or alternatively white wine vinegar.
- If you want to make larger quantities, multiply the ingredients accordingly.
- Put the milk in a bowl. Mix in the acid and stir well.
- After about 10 to 15 minutes, the milk will curdle and become slightly thick.
- This quick variation is a substitute for buttermilk because it doesn’t thicken as much. The product is well suited for use as a recipe ingredient, such as for buttermilk lemon ice cream .
- The buttermilk is for immediate use. Leftovers should be kept in the fridge and eaten as soon as possible.
Make dairy product with starter cultures
- You’ll need fresh whole milk, buttermilk starter cultures , and airtight screw-top jars .
- Pour the desired amount of milk into the sterilized glass . Then add the appropriate amount of the bacterial culture according to the instructions.
- Stir everything together once with the handle of a wooden spoon. Screw on the glass and shake the contents vigorously.
- Then place the jar in a warm place for 1 day and let the contents ferment .
- Be careful not to exceed 24 hours if possible. If the buttermilk is left warm and out of the fridge for too long, it no longer tastes good.
- Tip: So that you don’t lose track of things, write down the date of manufacture and the time on the jar.
- After fermenting, store the buttermilk in the refrigerator. The acid created by the bacteria allows the product to last for weeks as it is a natural preservative.
- If mold forms in the container, you do not have to throw away the milk. This topping is also found in mold cheese. You can simply remove this and keep using the milk.