Cooking asparagus – that’s how it works!
From peeling to the correct cooking time to the cooking test: We explain step by step how you have to cook white asparagus so that it becomes really tasty. The preparation is so easy!
- Cooking asparagus – ingredients and preparation
- Cook asparagus in their own stock
- How long does asparagus take to cook?
- Practical accessories for cooking asparagus
- The best cooking methods at a glance
- Popular asparagus recipes to cook at home
You should always prepare asparagus as freshly as possible, otherwise it will quickly lose its aroma and moisture. If not using immediately refrigerate asparagus wrapped in a damp towel until ready to cook . So it stays fresh longer.
Cooking asparagus – ingredients and preparation
For 4 people:
- 2 kg of white asparagus
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
How to do it step by step:
- Wash and generously peel the asparagus . To do this, hold the rod under your head and gently pull the asparagus peeler * from top to bottom. Finally, cut off the woody ends.
- Put the salt, sugar and butter in a large saucepan with plenty of water. The poles should be completely covered with water. Bring the water to the boil, add the asparagus, bring to the boil briefly and then reduce the heat. Let steep on low heat for 12-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the sticks.
- Lift the cooked asparagus out of the pot, drain and serve. Homemade hollandaise sauce tastes good with it .
Extra tip: A few splashes of lemon juice in the cooking water ensure that the asparagus retains its white color while cooking.
Asparagus becomes particularly aromatic if you let it steep in asparagus broth. To do this, place the asparagus peel and ends that result from peeling with 2-3 slices of an organic lemon in a saucepan, cover with approx. 2 liters of water, season with 1 teaspoon each of sugar and salt. Bring to the boil, add the asparagus and let it simmer for 12-15 minutes over low heat.
In addition to cooking asparagus, you can also use the stock to prepare a delicious asparagus soup or thicken it with flour butter and serve as a sauce with the asparagus .
How long does asparagus take to cook?
After the peeled asparagus has been placed in the boiling water, it will take 12-15 minutes to cook over low heat. To test cooking, pierce the end of an asparagus spear with a kitchen knife. If it’s soft at the thickest part but still offers some resistance, it’s done.
In season, asparagus is a welcome guest on many plates – whether as a delicious starter or light main course, asparagus soup always tastes good! But other variants also taste delicious in spring!
The classic is the white asparagus cream soup . In the basic recipe, an aromatic asparagus stock is first cooked from asparagus peels. We’ll show you how it’s done and which ingredients go particularly well with asparagus soup.
Cook asparagus soup – ingredients for 4 people:
- 1 kg of white asparagus
- 1/2 organic lemon + some lemon juice
- 1.5 liters of water
- salt, white pepper
- pinch of sugar
- 50 grams of butter
- 50 grams of flour
- 200 grams of whipped cream
Cooking asparagus soup – Step 1:
Use leftovers to get the full asparagus taste: Peel the skin of the asparagus and cut off the woody ends. Boil with water, slices of an unwaxed lemon, salt and a pinch of sugar . Leave everything together for about 20 minutes with the lid closed and low heat. Pour the stock through a sieve into a large pot and drain the asparagus shells well.
Cooking asparagus soup – Step 2:
Meanwhile cut the asparagus into pieces. Boil the asparagus broth again and cook the asparagus pieces in it for about 15 minutes. Then drain the asparagus, collect the brew again and measure out 1 liter of liquid. Heat the butter in a saucepan, dust with flour and sauté . Deglaze with asparagus water while stirring constantly and simmer for 10 minutes. Then add cream, season with salt, pepper, sugar, and lemon juice. Add the asparagus pieces and serve.