Download Windows 10 for free – this is how it works
You should upgrade to Windows 10 at the latest now that Windows 7 support has ended. The latest operating system has some optimizations compared to its previous version. Here we explain how you can download Windows 10.
Download Windows 10: This is what you need to download
Windows 10 convinces above all with its practical user interface, but also with many other advantages .
- You need a stable internet connection to download.
- You should also make a backup to protect your own data.How to create a backup with Windows 7 on-board resources .
- In addition, your computer must be equipped with sufficient available storage space. You can also use a USB drive or an external hard drive to download.
- If you later want to install on another computer, you need an empty USB memory stick with at least 5 GB of space for media creation. Alternatively, you can also use a blank DVD for burning.
- If burning an ISO file to a DVD disc reports that the disc image file is too large, you are using a dual layer DVD (DL).
- Finally, you should read out the Windows key if you don’t have it to hand. You can use the Windows Product Key Viewer tool to display and note your previous key, since the keys from Windows 7 and 8.1 also apply to Windows 10.
How to download Windows 10
If you already have an older version of Windows on your computer, you can simply update your computer. Otherwise you have to perform a fresh installation .
- In both cases you need a stable internet connection and the free Media Creation Tool from Microsoft.
- As already mentioned, your PC should also have sufficient storage space.
- If you only want to update your system, simply start the Media Creation Tool after the download and select “Upgrade this PC now”. The tool does everything else for you.
- For a new installation you need a USB stick with at least 5 GB or an external hard drive . Alternatively, you can also create an ISO file and then burn it to a DVD.
- To do this, select the option “Create installation media for another PC” in the Media Creation Tool and specify which medium you would like to use.
- In the next step, select the language, edition and architecture. If you don’t know which options to choose, just check the “Use the recommended options for this PC” box. This will give you the right installation medium for your PC.
- Now you can install Windows 10 from the selected medium.
- Finally, if necessary, enter the product key if it has not already been recognized and accepted automatically. After entering your new operating system is activated for use.
Windows 10: Set classic view as in Windows 7
If you would like to set the classic view of the start menu in Windows 10, this is very easy to do. Although the current version of Windows with the modified start menu has been running on most PCs for a number of years, many users want the layout from Windows 7 back.
Windows 10: How to set the classic view
Windows 10 comes with the modern tile view by default. Unfortunately, Windows 10 no longer offers a direct way to change the view to the classic look. However, below we explain how it works.
- Download the Open Shell Menu software . It can be used free of charge and checked for viruses.
- Install the downloaded file on your computer. Go to your Downloads folder and look for the file you just downloaded.
- Start the installation by double-clicking on the file. Follow the installation wizard’s instructions.
- After the installation has been successfully completed, click on the Start menu at the bottom left as usual.
- A window should now open in which you can select the classic style. If you prefer the style of Windows 7, you can also select this here.
- Confirm the selection with “OK”. The theme should now change the next time you open the Start menu. If this has not yet happened, we recommend restarting Windows 10.
- If the menu design has changed, everything should now appear in the selected view. The folder view via the start menu should also have been adapted to the classic view.
- Tip: If you click “Start Menu (Windows)” from the Start menu, you can go back to the old design.
Alternative to set the classic view
There is also an alternative to set classic view in Windows 10. We explain these to you below:
- Download the Start10 software . However, this can only be used free of charge for 30 days.
- Install the downloaded software and follow the installation instructions. Choose the 30-day trial version.
- Start the software from the Start menu.
- In the window that appears, you have the opportunity to select the desired design and, if necessary, to make further settings regarding the appearance.