0x80070005 – Feature update for Windows 10, version 1903 failed
The development team at Microsoft has always liked to reuse an error code for the sake of clarity. Similar to the related error 0x80070002 , you can also see the feature update for Windows 10, version 1903 – error 0x80070005. At least that’s where the problem (besides indications of 0x000004dc and 0x00000524 ) is one of the most common.
The message reads:
Failed to reboot to complete installation. Please try again shortly. If the error persists, check the web or contact support. The following error code might be helpful. (0x80070005).
Another prefix could be “Error Code 0x80070005: Access Denied” . In this case, there are usually system gaps that automatically manifest themselves over time and dissolve essential links. As a result, your connection to the home network is lost , the settings go haywire, or an app is not allowed to start. The solution can be very simple:
- Detect Malware, Clean System
- Prevent error code 0x80070005 as an administrator
- In case of difficulties in the Microsoft Store
So let’s start with the obvious measure that leads to success in a wide variety of situations.
Detect Malware, Clean System
In today’s age, a good antivirus program is worth its weight in gold. In general, you should check your computer for malware at regular intervals to prevent malicious attacks. Malware , for example, which often ends up on your hard drive unnoticed as a result of an accidental download, proves to be particularly critical here. This is accompanied by error code 0x80070005 if the infection starts at the system level.
A simple check of the affected elements using a command line command is then of little help. As an alternative, proven providers such as Avast or Kaspersky offer tailor-made solutions that examine your entire system and automatically fix problems . In just a few clicks you are on the safe side and also protected for the future .
If, on the other hand, you receive error 0x80070005 strictly with the function update for Windows 10, version 1903, you can also rely on internal processes. Otherwise, if your update runs by itself, a tool for removing malicious software (Malicious Software Removal Tool or MSRT) is already integrated. Potential dangers and weak points can be detected quite reliably. If the entire update process hangs, you can also download the current version of the application directly from the Microsoft website.
Prevent error code 0x80070005 as an administrator
Whether you are a layman or a professional, if you have any problems with Windows , you should always restart the device first . In the same step, it is also recommended to switch from a normal user account to an administrator account. This is how you secure a large number of new access rights .
Therefore, if error 0x80070005 occurs mostly when running or installing a specific application , here are a few things you should try:
- In normal operation you switch to the control panel . This can easily be found using the search function by pressing the Windows logo key + S .
- You will see a new window with various settings . Under the User Accounts umbrella, click Change Account Type .
- In the User tab, which is already active , select your current account and then click on Change account type again .
- Administrator should now be stored instead of standard . Change account type applies the adjustments.
- Sign up again. Error code 0x80070005 should now be resolved.
Would you rather have detailed instructions? We will show you in detail how to enable or disable an admin account on Windows 10 .
In case of difficulties in the Microsoft Store
If Error 0x80070005 occurs while browsing the Windows App Store , it is most likely blocking an upcoming update . In order not to have to initiate a new installation immediately , you have the option of restoring missing permissions with just a few clicks . We will show you the exact procedure:
- First you need to locate a folder in Explorer . To do this, we use the Windows logo key + R and run the path C:\Users\keyportal\AppData\Local . Replace the term keyportal with the name of your account, the abbreviation C with your primary hard drive.
- We are now interested in the folder named Packages . Right-click to open its properties .
- In the Security tab you will find the Advanced button . This will take you to the next overview.
- Find your account and click View or Edit . Then add the tick to Full access and confirm the change with OK .
- Close Settings, reboot and your Microsoft Store should work.
Error 0x80070005 fixed?
We are happy if this little guide could help you. If you’re still struggling with an error code during the feature update for Windows 10, version 1903, it’s worth taking a look at our proven tutorial . In addition to error 0x80070005, our experts also deal with all other possible causes . In any case, you are in the best possible position.